Behind The Scenes by Petra Pierre - Robertson

 

I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel (Jeremiah 18:3)

Working at the wheel

The scent was lovely. It was the scent of a pot bubbling in the kitchen. The sizzling sound of something screaming as it came into contact with hot oil...then the scent of the aftermath filtering out of the door, roof, windows and crevices of the kitchen wall. I inhaled deeply anticipating lunch.

Anticipating lunch!

The first time I saw the process my eyes widened.  I was just a child. Aghast, an exclamation burst from my lips:

   “That!”

My mom was throwing garlic, onion, and a lot of other stuff I hated, into the pot.

   “That is the cause of the nice scent I get?”

She nodded.

Stunned, I watched the entire process behind the scenes.  It bore little resemblance to what was aesthetically set out on the table at mealtime. I liked the meal, until I saw what took place behind the scenes.  I heard my mom mutter:

   “So now that you have seen what goes into making it, you don't want it again?”

I did not respond.  She was correct.  It would be difficult to eat the meal now that I saw what went into making it.


"That!"

As I reminisce on that memory, I can’t help but think: “No wonder God keeps stuff hidden from us. We won't be able to handle it”.  And on the heels of that thought came another thought: “We oftentimes like the product but not the heat and the ingredients that are so necessary for the outcome.” And yet another lesson: “There is so much we take for granted without knowing what is taking place behind the scenes”

Behind the scenes

Can that be applied to scenarios in life?

We like a toned body and a good physique but detest the idea of regular disciplined exercise and diet.  We admire and want a good body until we have to exercise rigorously and carefully monitor our diet.

We want and crave good health but the behind the scene pressure of NEWSTART: nutrition, exercise, water, sunlight, temperance, air, rest and trust in God is just too much to wrap our mind around, adjust to and maintain.

We like the smile of others but are largely unaware of the pressure, stress and issues behind the smile.

We like and crave rest but detest the idea of keeping the Sabbath.  We could do without the pressure of what goes into keeping the Sabbath holy.  An act which ironically provides wholesome rest.

As human there are several products, and outcomes, we want: but without the detestable ingredients and the heat in the pot. So, Next time you cook, or you settle down to have a good meal, think of the heat, and pressure, and all that go on behind the scenes to assure a positive outcome, not just in the form of a meal, but in your life, and the life of others.

He will prepare you


Jeremiah 18:5 “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand







Comments

  1. Never saw this perspective express in this way.....likened to meal prep. Ingenious and soooooo true. We only like the benefits without the work /process that goes behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a timely message. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We applaud the outcome not the process! But the process got us to the outcome! Respect the process!
    Got it!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes this definitely applies to me. Tks for sharing ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true. We desire many things, but detest the process. What a delightful reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it thanks for sharing. It's what goes on behind the scenes that makes the difference

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the build up! Thank you for the enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TRAPPED: One man's joy... By Petra Pierre-Robertson Robertson

Conflicting Signals by Petra Pierre-Robertson

What's in the Darkness by Petra Pierre-Robertson