Stop! 2 Busy 2 Blog? (Confession) by Petra Pierre - Robertson

 

Exodus 18:17  …you will surely wear yourselves out… 

I was so tired. I was skating from one activity to the next; one project to the next; one appointment to the next. Didn't even have the time to blog.  My last blog was one month ago on February 24. This is the reason. 2B. Forgive me.  I felt like I was walking on air.  There was so much to do and so little time.  In addition to my daily routine, the grind was on…

Daily Routine:   Get up at 5am.  Time for worship. I didn't stop to do the  bed.  Will do so after worship since I do not want any distraction from worship.  Amidst my busy schedule worship is critical.  It is the gas that keeps me going. Mark 1:35: Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.  After worship I go in the yard to hear the birds, breathe the cool morning air, feel the warmth of the rising sun, talk to the plants and stretch.  On my way back inside I notice that leaves have blown into the patio, so I get the broom and sweep.  In returning the broom I notice a few pieces of dust on the tile so I sweep inside. I notice I had left tomatoes draining and a pie I forgot in the oven so I put them away.  In retrieving foil from the cupboard over the sink, I note that there are wares on the drainer that need to be packed away. In packing away the wares I remember I had to remove items from the freezer in preparation for the meal later today, so I go to the freezer before heading to the sink. Oh no, there is a plate, knife, and fork in the sink; they need to be washed.  I can't place them in the drainer with the dry wares that are there, so I need to pack away those wares. While I am at it I may as well put on the kettle for my warm morning tea. But, I will need to give the stove a little wipe first.  It is not dirty but a daily wipe keeps it spotless. As I turned to the sink to retrieve the cloth I heard a voice:

Stop! There you go again!   Didn't you plan to make up the bed after worship?  It is still undone.  Don't you have a paper due? It is still waiting.  Your brain is on the paper, but it is not happening; and your body is moving on auto pilot. 

A shrill ring. The phone.  

    “...Hellooooo….”

 A request. Another appointment. They want me to talk about self-care; taking time to see to oneself amidst the bustle of daily chores, career, parenting, appointments. The irony forced a wry laugh from me as I honestly told the caller, “ I am not the best person. I am guilty of what you want me to present on; on all counts…”

The requester then became the presenter. Wisely she asserted,  “Well maybe that is why you should attend; in strengthening us we would strengthen you; we would all learn to self-care; so maybe this is for you. Just what you need!”  

Mark 6:31 Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”

So I went.  I shared with the sisters.  I drew reference to Christ, who himself, in his humanity, was probably so exhusted after preaching to people who all wanted something from him, he had to push off in a boat and sleep (Mark 4:35-41)  Probably so tired he slept through a storm (although there may be other theological reasons ascribed to his act of sleeping in that boat).  And after I presented the sisters responded...


Sisters Say Stop (SSS):   

Stop after at least two warnings from your body.

Stop and get away from it. Borders closed?  Go Tobago.
Stop!  Leave your phone and go somewhere to relax.
Stop! Listen to the birds (oops, that reminded me, Part II (and Part III) of 'Consider the Birds' is due.)
Stop! Set the time and remember to have a meal.
Stop!  Beginning today.  Beginning now.  Here is a pool.  Dive in.

 The idea of diving into the pool was tempting. They urged me to remain. But I had another appointment due in fifteen minutes.  So, with a wistful look at the pool, I scurried off to my next appointment...


P. S. That was last Sunday.  Here is a blog today.  Progress? Well the rain helped since I couldn't go for my early morning exercise because of the weather...

 

The struggle is real but I will try...

Psalm 28:7  The Lord is my strength

Comments

  1. Yes, STOP so you can rejuvenate and keep inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm! You have described so many of us lives! I believe God's spirit is the best scheduler! He reminds us to stop! Or slow down!
    Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Yes we need to be guided by the Holy Spirit

      Delete
  3. Amen. Amen. Amen. The very details, as accurate as can be. But God... But God.

    Thank God He gives us wisdom. He does not leave us in the dark (and if He does, He has a purpose). He gives us understanding of even the most basic aspects of our lives. Would you believe He spoke to me more than once about this same issue of dong too much..? And now someone else has been inspired the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An insight into my life to the letter.
    May God continue to give us the strength to slow down, reflect on his Love and spend some quality me time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's in the Darkness by Petra Pierre-Robertson

The Promise by Petra Pierre-Robertson

“Who do you say I am?” by Petra Pierre - Robertson